Winter is when rats and mice flee inside, looking for food and shelter from the cold. And this season in particular, with so many restaurants and other urban businesses closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic, you are more likely to see rodents inside your home than ever. Keep reading to learn how to keep rodents from chewing on your electrical wires, and call Purple Care whenever you need professional pest protection.
5 Reliable Ways to Prevent Rodents from Chewing on Wires
- Cover Up Wiring: Rats and mice can easily chew through wires with their sharp teeth. By covering any exposed wiring up with plastic and steel, you can prevent rodents from gnawing away and causing destruction.
- Use Rodent Repellent: There are sprays you can use to prevent rodents from chewing on things. If you have exposed wires in your house, it is a good idea to purchase one of these products for added protection. Just make sure to go with something that’s safe for family members and pets. Of course, for hidden wires, you may have to take more extreme measures, like—
- Seal Cracks & Crevices: Mice can squeeze into an opening that’s about the width of a pencil, while some rats can squeeze through a hole with a circumference of 20 mm. This is one reason why you should always seal any gaps and holes throughout your house before winter, weather-stripping and caulking around doors and windows.
- Trim Trees: Rodents often make their way into homes by crawling from trees onto roofs and into attics. By calling a professional tree trimming company like Purple Care, you can make sure you’re not accidentally inviting any rodents into your home. And speaking of hiring professionals…
- Call an Electrician: You may want to have your electrical wires inspected by a professional electrician if you are experiencing any electrical problems, DIY electrical work can be dangerous, and a skilled electrician should easily be able to look at your wiring and tell you if rodents are the culprit. And remember, if you do have a rodent infestation on your property, our pest control experts at Purple Care will proudly help you put a stop to it ASAP!